Just another day at the office…catching a private jet to an olive farm and stepping through the harvest process at Cobram Estate, where extra virgin olive oil is more or less a religion. I hope you like my little vlog – just shot on my phone so forgive the wonky video!
A few fun facts:
- this farm at Boundary Bend is 3000 hectares and has about 1.5 million olive trees, of five different varieties
- during autumn harvest season, the olives are picked and processed 24 hours a day
- the olives are pressed within 4-6 hours of picking to ensure freshness – this is what makes it ‘extra virgin’
- many people think you shouldn’t cook with extra virgin olive oil – this is a fallacy. It’s a great cooking oil!
- learn more about Cobram Estate’s perspective on the health benefits of its oils here
I use olive oil every day, in salad dressings, when I’m cooking, and as a tasty finishing drizzle.