I love shopping from Gary’s Quality Meats at Prahran Market, where master butcher Gary McBean offers high-quality, free-range meat, aged on site in a gleaming glass chamber, and butchered with incredible expertise and respect by a skilled team.
What Gary doesn’t know about meat isn’t worth knowing so I grabbed him for a series of show-and-tells. This is the second of our ‘meat chats’ (see beef here, and pork is coming soon). In an era where meat often comes in styrofoam packages and is quite divorced from the animal it’s come from, I think it’s empowering to reconnect to the source, to learn more about what comes from where and why certain meat cuts work better for different dishes.
Once you’ve learnt more about lamb, you’ll want some recipes, am I right? Got you covered!
- Lamb Kustilji, slow-braised, spicy, sticky lamb ribs from chef Shane Delia
- Pineapple-spiked Vietnamese Lamb Salad, with a genius sauce that tastes like satay but is nut-free
- Lamb Shank and Barley Casserole, steamed shanks that end up in a hearty Irish stew that feeds a crowd
- Pistachio-crusted Lamb Cutlets with Green Tahini Sauce, steamed, then pan-fried juicy lamb cutlets with a thick, herby sauce
- Lamb Cutlets with Salsa Verde and Lovage Oil, a simple recipe with two great condiments from chef Jesse McTavish
- Fork-Apart Slow-Roasted Lamb Shoulder, I love an easy roast that I can pop in the oven and forget about for hours.
By the way, a girl’s gotta get dressed. Today I’m wearing Elk.