There are so many things to love about this recipe.
- It’s a complete, layered meal that can feed a crowd.
- It proves you can stir-fry in the Thermomix.
- It shows that steamed meat is not gross!
- It’s delicious and adaptable and easy
This recipe was a smash hit from my first book In the Mix: Great Thermomix Recipes.
Time: 45 minutes, plus at least 20 minutes steak marinating.
Serves: 4 (increase meat and vegetable quantities to serve more)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 spring onions, white part only
30 grams (1 oz) oyster sauce
50 grams (2 oz) soy sauce
50 grams (2 oz) sugar
10 grams (0.35 oz) sesame oil
300 grams (10.6 oz) rump or porterhouse steak, or more if you’re feeding more, whole not sliced.
70 grams (2.5 oz) rice per person (up to 400 grams)
30 grams (1 oz) vegetable oil
10 grams (0.35 oz) ginger
chilli, fresh or paste, to taste
400 grams (14 oz) mixed vegetables, such as purple cabbage, carrots, broccoli, bok choi and beans, cut into bite-sized portions
- First, make the steak marinade. Put the garlic cloves and spring onions in mixing bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 7.
- Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil to mixing bowl, and mix 10 sec/speed 3. Rub all the marinade into the steak and leave it in the fridge for 20 minutes or more.
- Put the steamer basket in place, weigh in 70 grams of rice per person (up to 400 grams maximum), then pour over 1 kilogram of water. Wash the rice by mixing 10 sec/speed 5.
- Place the marinated steak in the base of the Varoma and pour the steak marinating liquid over it.
- Put the Varoma tray in place, over the steak, then take a large sheet of baking paper, dampen with water, scrunch it up, then spread it over the Varoma tray. Crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk them. Tip the eggs onto the baking paper in the Varoma tray.
- Cook rice, steak and omelette 20 min/Varoma/speed 4.
- Tip the rice into a Thermoserver or other heatproof bowl and rest the steak and omelette on top. Cover with the lid or foil. Wash and dry mixing bowl.
- Add the ginger and fresh chillies or chilli paste. Chop 2 sec/speed 7, then scrape down. Add vegetable oil and heat 2 min/Varoma/speed 1. Add mixed vegetables and cook 6 min/Varoma/Reverse/speed 1.
To serve, mound rice in a bowl or on a platter. Slice the steak and omelette, and arrange the meat, vegetables and omelette on top.
- The thicker your steak, the rarer your meat
- Double the marinade ingredients to boost the flavours. Don’t clean the mixing bowl.
Want a great dessert to go with your Beef Stir Fry? You’ll need my Basque Cheesecake.
Want to learn all about the perfect cut of beef? Check out my Beef Banter with Butcher Gary McBean. And while we’re on the subject of beef take a look at some of my favourite beef dishes.
Try my mouthwatering Pineapple-spiked Vietnamese Lamb Salad for another delicious Thermomix inspired meat dish.