1. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and toast 7 min/Varoma/speed 1, MC off, until you get a nice aroma.
2. Allow to cool with lid off, then grind 1 min/speed 10 or until fine.
3. Soak the lentils for 20 minutes in cold water, then drain.
4. Place lentils in saucepan with 5 cups of water, turmeric powder and 1 tsp oil. Cook over medium heat until soft (about 35 minutes), then mash lightly with wooden spoon or spatula.
5. Meantime, place remaining oil and mustard seeds in mixing bowl. Cook for 4 min/Varoma/speed 1.
6. Add red chillies, fenugreek seeds, ginger-garlic paste and asafoetida. Cook for 2 min/100°C (212°F)/speed 1.
7. Add green chillies, curry leaves, eggplant, tomato, shallots and okra. Cook 1 min 30 sec/100°C (212°F)/speed 1.
8. Add sambar masala powder, salt and 1 cup water. Cook 7 min/100°C (212°F)/Rev/speed 1 or until vegetables are cooked.
9. Add boiled lentils and tamarind pulp cook for a further 3 min/100°C (212°F)/Rev/speed 1. Adjust flavour by adding salt and more masala if needed.
10. To serve, garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice or dosa.