I love this recipe! What’s not to love? Chocolate mousse, more or less healthy, and made in a minute! It’s a winner.
The recipe comes from wonderful chef Jose Chavez (pictured below), and I first encountered it at my ThermoBar event, where Jose served the chocolate mousse in gorgeous mini-cones. You can also serve it in bowls, or layered with fruit and nuts, or piped into tart shells. It’s rich and filling, so you don’t need much to find your chocolatey bliss. More reasons to love it: it’s egg-free, protein rich and you can make it without refined sugar.
Time: 15 minutes
- 80 grams (3 oz) coconut sugar (see Tips)
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) cocoa powder
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) chocolate protein powder (see Tips)
- 10 grams (0.35 oz) ground cinnamon (see Tips)
- 800 grams (28 oz) smooth ricotta (see Tips)
- mini cones, to serve
1. Place sugar into mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 10.
2. Add cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder and cinnamon. Mix 15 sec/speed 4.
3. Add ricotta and blend 1 min/speed 6, until smooth.
4. Transfer chocolate mousse to a piping bag with star nozzle and pipe into cones or small bowls or cups.
- Coconut sugar adds a lovely caramel note to the mousse; it can be replaced with caster sugar or raw sugar too.
- Protein powder is found in the health food aisle of the supermarket, in the vitamin aisle of the chemist and in bodybuilder shops. I look for whey protein powder because the main ingredient is whey, reserved from the cheesemaking process. Check the ingredients list for any allergens such as gluten.
Chocolate protein powder is often sold in rather large tubs and you may not want to commit to purchasing so much. However, there are also smaller, cheaper sachets of protein powder. I do not recommend any particular brand but look out for sachets like this and this.
- If your ricotta is quite soft, drain it first to avoid adding too much liquid to your mousse.
- This keeps for five days in the refrigerator. I store it in a piping bag for emergency treats!
- Top your mousse with raspberries if desired.
- Play around with other spices, such as cardamom and even chilli!