1. Place cinnamon, bay leaf, curry leaves, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, fennel, cloves and cardamom seeds in mixing bowl. Toast 7 min/Varoma/speed 1, MC off.
2. Add zest, mushroom, kombu, ginger, turmeric, salt, pepper, paprika and chilli. Insert MC and blitz 45 sec/speed 10.
3. Set aside, scraping bowl out well, though there’s no need to wash it. Add butter and melt 3 min/100°C (212°F)/speed 1.
4. Add flour and cook 12 min/120°C (250°F) (Varoma in TM31)/speed 1 to make a roux.
5. Add reserved curry powder and mix 30 sec/speed 3. Transfer mixture to lined container, such as a brownie tin or plastic tub. Place in refrigerator to set. When set, cut mixture into cubes and store in refrigerator or freezer (see Tips).
6. If desired, cook rice in Thermomix first. Place oil, onion, carrot, and one bashed garlic clove in mixing bowl. Cook 5 min/Varoma/speed 1. Add 700 grams (25 oz) water, broccoli or peas, and potato. Cook 15 min/100°C (212°F)/Rev/speed soft.
7. Add 90 grams (3.2 oz) curry cubes, or to taste. Cook 12 min /100°C (212°F)/Rev/speed 1, MC off.
Serve with rice or noodles.