I love shopping from Gary’s Quality Meats at Prahran Market, where master butcher Gary McBean offers high-quality, free-range meat, aged on site in a gleaming glass chamber, and butchered with incredible expertise and respect by a skilled team.
What Gary doesn’t know about meat isn’t worth knowing so I grabbed him for a series of show-and-tells. This is the third of our ‘meat chats’ (see beef and lamb as well). In an era where meat often comes in styrofoam packages and is quite divorced from the animal it’s come from, I think it’s empowering to reconnect to the source, to learn more about what comes from where and why certain meat cuts work better for different dishes.
I especially love his tips on crackling!
Once you’ve learnt more about pork, you’ll be needing some recipes, am I right? Got you covered!
- Char Siu Bao – barbecued pork buns, or just make the barbecued pork and serve it with greens and rice
- My Spaghetti Bolognese uses a mixture of minced pork and veal; sometimes I make it with all pork, too.
- Cauliflower-crumbed Schnitzel – a gluten-free veg-packed crumb; I use beef in the video but it’s great with a pork schnitzel too
- Thai Ribs with Coconut Rice & Coleslaw – I use beef in the video, but try it with pork ribs or shoulder – amazing!
- Jing Shui Daan – Chinese style steamed custard with a minced pork dressing. So comforting.
By the way, a girl’s gotta get dressed. Today I’m wearing Elk.
Leave A Comment