Comeback Dishes – Food Revivals you want to eat
Apricot chicken. Vol au vents. Everything tuna. Fondue. Should retro dishes be brought back to centre stage or relegated to the menus of history?
I tackled this hoary issue with ABC host David Astle and a full board of talkback callers.
- Apricot chicken (get Matt Wilkinson & Sharlee Gibb’s recipe from their book, How It Is At Home. The PDF is below for you to download)
- A good old roast
- Chopped steak (when we get sick of burgers)
- Vol au vents
- Jelly salads
- Sweet & sour pork or chicken, in fact any fluorescent and gloopy faux Chinese
- Packet soup mix in anything
- Overboiled veg
- Tuna mornay – comfort food, versatile, easy, kid friendly
- Devils on horseback – bacon wrapped prunes
- Meatloaf – when it’s good, it’s good but so often it’s not
What do you think? Which dishes make you joyously nostalgic and which need to stay in the past…permanently?