Cheesemonger Anthony Femia from Maker & Monger says we can eat cheese for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner everyday! I love his rules for living.
We’ve enjoyed Anthony’s cheese wisdom and cheesy recipes at DANIVALENT.COM for a long time. He’s an enthusiast and an expert and I’ve learnt so much from him about the joys of cheese. It was great to catch up again (ie eat cheese), hear about his strong connection to Comté, one of the world’s great cheeses, and to try his drink-matching suggestions.
Wondering where to source Comté? All good cheesemongers will stock it; it truly is a cheese you need under your belt. And, of course, if you’re in Melbourne, visit Maker & Monger at Prahran Market to purchase your own special slice of Anthony’s bespoke flavour!
Wondering where to source these drinks?
- Genmaicha is Japanese green tea with roasted rice and can be found in tea shops and Asian grocers.
- Learn more about (and purchase) the Domaine de Montbourgeau l’Etoile, an aged chardonnay from France’s Jura region. We are drinking the 2014 and a very fine drop it is too.
- The delicious dolcetto from South Australia’s Clare Valley is from Unico Zelo.
Try Anthony’s recipes:
- Khachapuri, a boat-shaped pizza with a baked egg on top.
- Blue Cheese Dip, perfect with crackers and also great with buffalo wings.
- Another great dip is Cervelle de Canut, made with quark.
- Mac & Cheese Toastie, a carb-on-carb ticket to culinary joy…and a nap!
And learn how to craft a cheese board:
- Cheese Platter Chatter: which cheese and what accompaniments?