1. Rub the duck breast flesh with the red chilli flakes, salt flakes and half the orange zest. Pour half the orange juice on to a tray and press duck flesh into it. Dry skin with kitchen paper and sprinkle with more salt flakes. Place tray in the refrigerator, uncovered, for the duck to dry out for an hour or two.
2. If using wholegrain freekeh, precook it now. Pour 1 kilogram cold water (and the vegetable stock concentrate, if desired) into mixing bowl. Weigh freekeh into the TM basket and cook for 30 min/100ºC/speed 4. Leave in TM basket and set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
3. Place cumin, coriander, fennel seeds and black peppercorns into mixing bowl and toast for 3 min/100ºC/speed 1. Grind for 1 min/speed 9. Set aside.
4. Place pistachios into mixing bowl and chop roughly for 2 sec/speed 6. Set aside.
5. Place onion, garlic and green chilli into mixing bowl and chop 1 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and add the olive oil. Cook for 5 min/100ºC/speed 1.
6. Add toasted spices, remaining orange juice and zest, thyme and chicken or vegetable stock. Set TM basket containing cracked freekeh or pre-cooked wholegrain freekeh into position. Rinse for 2 sec/speed 5, then cook for 20 min/100ºC/speed 4.
7. Arrange duck in the Varoma tray, set Varoma into position and cook for 15 min/Varoma/speed 1. Remove duck and set aside until ready to fry.
8. Continue to cook freekeh for 10 min/100ºC/speed 4. Once time has elapsed, remove freekeh and keep warm.
9. Make a sauce by reducing liquid remaining in the mixing bowl for 10 mins/100ºC/speed 2/MC off, with the TM basket resting on the lid, or until sauce has thickened.
10. While sauce is thickening, fry the duck. Add a little oil to a frypan and place on the stove over a moderate to high heat. Brown duck, skin side down, until dark golden and crisp. Set aside to rest in a warm place for a few minutes, then thickly slice duck to serve.
11. Toss freekeh with olive oil, mint, chopped pistachios and salt flakes to taste. Toss shaved radicchio and fennel with olive oil, lemon juice and salt flakes to taste.
Place duck breasts on a plate with the pistachio freekeh and the radicchio and fennel salad. Serve with the sauce.