I love the way Indian chef Jessi Singh demystifies and simplifies Indian food. When he mentioned he was making a chutney, my mind turned to slow-cooked syrupy concoctions but that’s not what he meant at all! This is a quick, fresh chutney that is about to become a staple in your fridge and on…everything! Jessi eats it on toast, steak, curries, rice, whatever’s cooking, really! As it keeps for days in the fridge, you’ll always find new opportunities to dollop it over whatever’s on your plate. Halve the quantities if you only want to make a small batch and adjust the chilli level to taste.
Makes: about 1 litre
Time: 5 minutes
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) fresh coriander (see Tips)
- 200 grams (7 oz) spring onions/shallots (the long green ones! See Tips)
- 150 grams (5 oz) fresh mint leaves (see Tips)
- 80 grams (3 oz) lemon or lime juice (see Tips)
- 5 grams (0.20 oz) green chillies (see Tips)
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) fresh ginger, skin on, roughly chopped
- 40 grams (1.5 oz) sugar, optional (see Tips)
- 15 grams (0.5 oz) salt, or to taste
- 200 grams (7 oz) ice
- pappadams, to serve, optional
1. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and blend 1 min/speed 10. Adjust with extra lemon or lime juice.
2. Serve straight away with pappadams, or transfer into jars to keep in the refrigerator.
- Use coriander and mint stalks too
- Depending on where you live, you’ll call long green onions ‘spring onions’ or ‘shallots’. Strictly speaking, they are Allium fistulosum. See more on the name game here.
- You’ll need two or three juicy lemons or about four juicy limes.
- Use Thai birdseye chillies if you like it hot and jalapeno chillies for a milder heat.
- Reduce or omit sugar, to taste
More about this video
Want more recipes from Jessi? I’ve got them, as well as the story of how his restaurant took New York by storm! Stand by for more Jessi videos too: Kwik Korma and Mango Lassi are coming soon.
My Entertaining cookbook has a superb Indian menu; check out this page for tips on putting together an Indian feast.
A girl’s gotta get dressed. Today I’m wearing Leonard St.