Who wants a quick, easy and healthy breakfast that also works as a jarred meal on the go? I do! That’s why I love this Smoothie Bowl, with the goodness of oats, nuts and chia seeds and a green boost from spinach and matcha, a Japanese green tea powder.
Matcha is made from whole green tea leaves ground into a bright emerald-coloured powder. In Japan, it’s whisked with hot water and served in temples as a frothy tea. When I visited Japan, I really loved sipping on matcha tea while gazing at beautiful gardens, ponds and stone paths. Maybe I should pretend I came up with this recipe as part of a meditation… But no!
A couple of tips about this recipe: in hot weather, add a handful of ice cubes to give it a little extra chill and when you’re in a rush, or know you won’t have time to stop for lunch, take a jar of this good stuff to eat later.
Time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes soaking time
- 50 grams almonds
- 80 grams oats
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 400 grams warm water
- 60 grams baby spinach
- 1 frozen banana, roughly chopped
- ½ kiwifruit, peeled
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cm fresh ginger, sliced
- ½ kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 35 grams shredded coconut
- 50 grams berries
- 30 grams pistachios, chopped
1. Soak almond, oats and chia seeds in warm water in a bowl for 10 minutes.
2. Transfer to mixing bowl and add spinach, banana, kiwifruit, date, matcha powder, cinammon and ginger. Blend for 1 min 30 sec/speed 10.
Pour into serving bowls, sprinkle with toppings and serve.
- Matcha is Japanese green tea powder. Look for it in little tins and be sure to buy powder, not tea leaves.
- Buy it from tea stores, Asian grocers and specialist Japanese stores. It’s also available online. (Please note, I’m not associated with this store and receive nothing if you shop from them; there are lots of suppliers out there!)
- Read more about the matcha craze.
- Matcha smoothies travel well in jars for a handy, healthy breakfast on the go.
- Whizz some ripe mango or peach through the mixture for extra sunshine and sweetness.
- Replace spinach with silverbeet or a mixture of greens and mint
- Change toppings as desired
Looking for more smoothies? Try Jo ‘Quirky Cooking’ Whitton’s delicious and sustaining Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Smoothie, Jock Zonfrillo’s zingy Lemon Smoothie Bomb or my power-packed Chlorophyll Smoothie.
Looking for more wholesome breakfast options? Browse the Breakfast category on the site for such gems as Chai Porridge, Jo ‘Ms Quirky’ Whitton’s Coconut Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup and my Black Rice Breakfast Pudding.
More about this video
I thought it was appropriate to wear a MATCHstick shirt from Leonard Street for this MATCHa smoothie bowl.