1. First, make your fortunes. Print and cut out my templates or cut 40 small rectangles of paper (1 x 6 cm). Write individual fortunes on each piece. Set aside until ready to fold cookies.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays (30 x 40 cm) with silicone mats and set aside. Have an empty muffin tray ready too.
3. Insert Butterfly. Place egg whites and sugar into mixing bowl and mix 30 sec/speed 3.
4. Add melted butter, almond essence, vanilla essence and water and mix 30 sec/speed 3.
5. Add flour and salt and mix 20 sec/speed 2. Remove Butterfly.
6. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and lightly fold in any remaining flour until just combined. Transfer mixture into a bowl.
7. Spoon a dessert-spoonful of batter onto the first tray and use the back of the spoon to spread it into a circle (approx. 10 cm diameter). Repeat to make two more cookies, leaving a 2 cm gap between each cookie, and making 3 circles per tray.
8. Bake for 6-8 minutes (180°C), until the very edge of the cookie just starts to turn golden. While the first tray is baking, prepare the second tray with 3 circles of batter.
9. Remove tray from oven and move quickly to shape the cookies before they set. Using a palette knife or similar, gently pick the cookie off the tray and turn it upside down onto a clean surface. Place a fortune paper in the middle and fold the cookie in half. Pick up the semi-circle, place the straight edge over the lip of a cup and gently bend down both sides to form a crescent. Place fortune cookie into muffin tray so it holds its shape as it cools. Repeat with the other cookies.
10. Continue with the remaining batter, preparing each tray while the other is cooking, and folding quickly before cookies set, then placing them in muffin trays.
11. If cooled cookies are not hard, crisp and golden, transfer them to flat baking trays. Turn oven off. Leave oven door open for 1 minute to cool down a little, then place formed cookies into cooling oven, close door, and leave until cold. This will make them hard, crisp and golden.
12. Eat straight away or allow cookies to cool completely before storing in a sealable container. They will soften unless completely hard and dry before storage (see step 11).