1. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line the base of 2 x 22 cm (approx.) cake tins, grease base and sides and set aside. If you only have one tin, you can bake the cakes one after another.
2. Place dry ingredients into mixing bowl and blitz for 2 sec/speed 10.
3. Add wet ingredients to mixing bowl and mix until combined for 10 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and mix again 10 sec/speed 6.
4. Divide mixture between the 2 cake tins, filling to 3/4 full. Bake in oven for 25 minutes (180ºC). Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin on a wire rack for about 20 minutes before turning out. Place cake onto serving dish and set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
5. Place cream into mixing bowl and heat for 5 min/70ºC/speed 2.
6. Add chocolate to mixing bowl and gently heat for 5 min/37ºC/speed 1, until ganache is glossy and smooth.
Remove cooled cakes from tins and place on plates. Cover generously with ganache. If desired, form a two-layer cake by sandwiching the cakes with the ganache. You may need to slice the peak from the bottom cake to make it flat. (The cook gets to eat the cake trimmings, of course!)