I am the kind of person who looks forward to breakfast when they head off to bed. Is this normal? I don’t care, really, especially when I’ve got chai oats in the cupboard and I know I’m just 6 minutes away from a gently spiced and wholly sustaining porridge. The only problem is that if I get too excited about my delicious breakfast, it’s hard to get to sleep the night before!
The base mixture is quick, easy and adaptable, and you can use dairy or nut milk to turn it into porridge, and top with the fruit and nuts that you prefer.
Serves: makes about 6 portions
Time: 6 minutes
- 300 grams oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cardamom pods, seeds only
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 40 grams crystallised ginger (or Naked Ginger, see Tips)
- 60 grams dried apple
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 60 grams Chai Oats
- 80 grams milk of your choice
- 100 grams water
- 120 grams Chai Oats
- 160 grams milk of your choice
- 200 grams water
- 1 banana, sliced
1. Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and blitz 1 sec/speed 6. For a finer texture, blitz again 1 sec/speed 6. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and cook 5 min/90°C/speed 2.
2. Place all ingredients into mixing bowl and cook 6 min/90°C/speed 2.
3. Pour porridge into bowls and garnish with sliced banana, berries, nuts and a drizzle of honey.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Keep pre-made Chai Oats on hand in the pantry and you’ll always be 6 minutes away from an easy, sustaining and delicious breakfast.
- Naked Ginger is crystallised ginger without the sugar coating.
- Change the spices and toppings to taste – I love to use seasonal fruit. I enjoy yoghurt on porridge too.
- Porridge is very personal! Add extra milk or water if you like a runnier porridge.
Want another great porridge? Check out the Carrot Porridge in my Entertaining cookbook and chip.
Looking for more wholesome breakfast options? Browse the Breakfast category on the site for such gems as Matcha Smoothie Bowl, Jo ‘Ms Quirky’ Whitton’s Coconut Flour Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup and my Black Rice Breakfast Pudding.
And if you’re a smoothie lover like me, you’ll love these delicious smoothie recipes? They make a great liquid breakfast.
- Chlorophyll Paste & Smoothie
- Lemon Bomb Smoothie
- Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Matcha Smoothie Bowl
Did you know Dani Valent gift vouchers are available right here? They make the perfect present for the Thermo-lover in your life.
More about this video
How classy is my Elk necklace and top! Someone asked me at a cooking class if the necklace was a custom-made ‘V’. What a great idea – but actually, it’s just a cool shape and I had never even seen it as a ‘V’ before. I love the way art (and fashion) takes our minds on different pathways.