1. Thinly slice vegetables (use a mandolin, if you have one). Combine in a bowl.
2. Place sugar, salt, vinegar, bay leaf and coriander seeds into mixing bowl and cook 8 min/Varoma/speed 2. Pour hot liquid over the prepared vegetables and allow to cool, then refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours to pickle.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Thread bacon onto skewers, either in strips or in rolls. (Best practice depends on size of rasher.)
4. Lay skewers on a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate skewers and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Transfer onto paper towel to drain, then remove skewers from bacon.
5. Chargrill jalapenos until blackened, either over a gas flame, or in a dry, heavy-based pan. Place charred jalapenos into mixing bowl. Add salt or celery salt. Blend 3 sec/speed 8. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then blend 3 sec/speed 9.
6. Add tomato juice, lime juice, mezcal, ice, pickling liquid and smoked paprika. Blend 45 sec/speed 9.
7. Take a lime wedge and lightly rub around each rim. Combine salt and chilli powder on a flat plate and upturn the lime-rimmed glasses to dip into the chilli-salt mix.
8. Strain pickled vegetables into a serving dish.
9. Add ice cubes to each glass and fill with cocktail mix.
10. Lay a bacon baton across the top of each glass and serve immediately with pickled vegetables and remaining lime wedges.