Beef short ribs
1. Preheat oven to 120°C (235°F). Coat ribs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add ribs and sear them, turning, for 10 minutes or until nicely browned on all sides. Remove from heat.
2. Stir mirin and miso in a bowl to combine, brush all over ribs, then place in a roasting tin and roast for 3 hours or until beef is tender and falling away from the bone. Keep an eye on the tin for moisture – you can cover with a lid or foil and add a little water if it is drying out.
Quick pickled carrots
3. Meanwhile, to make the pickles, place carrot in a heatproof bowl. Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until salt and sugar dissolve. In a Thermomix, add ingredients to mixing bowl and heat 5 min/100°C (212°F)/speed 1. Pour pickling liquid over the carrots and cool to room temperature. They’re ready to eat straight away, but will keep refrigerated in a clean jar for up to 2 weeks.
4. When ready to serve, cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente — they should still have elasticity. Drain, rinse under cold running water to stop them from cooking, drain again and toss with a little sesame oil to stop them sticking.
5. Divide noodles among bowls, toss with chilli oil and soy sauce to taste, add beef (Ben likes his short rib whole, Reagan likes it sliced) and layer over the toppings and garnishes.