Clafoutis (say ‘clah-foo-tee’) is a classic French dessert that is more or less a baked custard with fruit. It’s so easy! Saffron farmer Gamila MacRury shows us a version with saffron. It takes this simple dessert to the next level, but you can leave the saffron out if you don’t have it.
Do feel free to vary the fruit according to what’s in season and what you have in the fruit bowl. Frozen berries can be used too!
Time: 40 minutes
- 60 grams (2.1 oz) blanched almonds
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) caster sugar
- 10 grams (0.35 oz, approx. 1 tablespoon) plain flour
- pinch cinnamon powder
- pinch salt
- 250 grams (8.8 oz) pouring or thickened cream, plus extra to serve
- 10 drops saffron extract or 6 strands saffron, optional
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 apples, thinly sliced (peel if desired, or leave peel on)
- cream or ice cream to serve
1. If using saffron strands, stir them into cream 24 hours before making clafoutis.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F). Place almonds, sugar, flour and salt in mixing bowl. Blend 10 sec/speed 10. This can also be done with a stick blender, or use almond meal and stir through in a bowl.
3. Add saffron-infused cream and eggs or, if using saffron extract, add 10 drops extract to mixture. Mix 20 sec/speed 7. This can also be done with a stand mixer or stick blender.
4. Pour batter into baking dish. Arrange sliced apples over batter. Bake for 30 minutes (180°C / 360°F) or until puffed and golden.
Serve warm with cream or ice cream.
- Purchase Gamila’s lovely saffron and saffron extract.
- The clafoutis puffs up in the oven, then flops as it cools – it’s delicious in full flight or when it’s a bit sunken, so don’t worry too much.
- Cherry clafoutis is a classic – when cherries are in season, get your clafoutis on!
- Pear, berries (fresh or frozen), cooked rhubarb and stonefruit are great in clafoutis too.
More about this video
- Learn more about saffron on my Saffron Ingredient page.
- Want another easy baked fruit dessert? Check out my Apricot Coconut Cobbler.
- Want another baked apple dessert? You need my Tarte Tatin!
- See Gamila’s other recipes: Dulce de Leche Espresso Martini, Rhubarb Saffrontini and Wombok Coleslaw,
- A girl’s gotta get dressed. Today I’m wearing Olga de Polga.
- We shot this video at Prahran Market.